Your number one priority is project A. You start full of enthusiasm, you gather the detailed requirements, you figure out the best solution of the world, you start to program … and then: priority changes. Top priority is now project B (some HiPPO changed his mind).
After a curse or two, half an hour of gut spilling, five coffee‘s and some lost time, you gather all your positive thinking, build up some enthusiasm, start to contact most of the concerned people, gather most of the detailed requirements, you figure out a good solution, you start to program … and then : priority changes. Top priority is now project C (some HiPPO was replaced by some other HiPPO).
After a dozen of curses, two hours of gut spilling, five cans of coffee’s and some lost days, you gather what positive thinking you have left, try to build up some enthusiasm, start to contact some of the concerned people, gather some detailed requirements, you figure out some solution that will probably work, you start to program … and then (big surprise) : priority changes. Top priority is now project D (your new HiPPO’s HiPPO got a great idea).
Recognize the situation ?
What do you do next ?
After all you were payed for months, but what did you realize ? What about your motivation ?
You have several options :
- go complain to your boss. What can he/she do ? Complain to his/her boss ? Nothing will change, because HiPPO’s will keep changing their minds, will keep switching places.
- endure the situation. Go on with your life. Remember that you still receive your paycheck. So just keep busy, do some work, who knows someday they will allow you to finish something. But know that you never will be happy at work.
- go into a depression. Call a medic. Stay at home, social security will keep on paying something. Be happy keeping yourself busy in the garden, go fishing … and avoid everything that smells like stress. OK if you are married with a rich girl or inherited a fortune. And what about you passion ?
- quit. Find you another job, because you work for an enterprise that is getting nowhere ! It cannot be difficult to find another decent job if you look how you handled project A. Anyhow, when you apply for another job, clearly describe the reason why you left. If they agree with you that the best thing to do was to quit and come to them, take the chance.
- Kill yourself. NO WAY ! They are not worth the bullet ! Go pick one of the previous options !
There is no single perfect solution that fits all. Each of you has to make up his own mind, according to your own situation. But in my opion, best thing to do is to find another job. What about you ?